Virtual Tour: Fitzhugh Hall
Fitzhugh Hall, named for the first President of Belhaven University, Dr. Louis Fitzhugh (1884-1904), was originally part of the first building constructed at the present College site. A fire in 1927 gutted the main section of the building, leaving two wings which became Preston and Fitzhugh Hall.
For over 100 years, students have lived and learned in Fitzhugh Hall. It has housed residence hall rooms, academic classrooms, a swimming pool, a coffee shop, the home economics department, faculty and administrative offices, science and math labs, our technology equipment, and athletic offices.
Due to a serious water leak under the east wing of the building that washed away a portion of the foundation, Fitzhugh will be temporarily under construction. The Belhaven Science and Mathematics Department will have a new home in Fitzhugh’s east wing when it is done. To accommodate the science departments’ needs, the east wing will extend its walls and include a new lobby with an east entrance, new classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices. You can learn more about the updates of Fitzhugh Hall.