Virtual Tour: Helen White Hall
Helen White Hall is a residence hall that houses 60 women, all upperclassmen. The room configurations vary greatly, but the average size is approximately 12' by 15'. Most of the rooms are designed for double occupancy, each sharing a private bath with an adjoining room. There is a limited number of private rooms available, complete with private baths. A Resident Assistant is housed on each floor, and a professional Resident Director lives in an apartment on the first floor. A vending/snack room, kitchen, and lounge are also located on the first floor, while a laundry room is on the second floor.
Helen White Hall opened in 1950. It is named for the mother of Governor Hugh White, who served on the Board of Trustees at Belhaven from 1911-1962. Initially constructed with semi-private rooms and community hall baths, the building was renovated a number of years ago and every effort was made to conserve as much of the original building as possible. This is evident in the lobby paneling that is actually made from the old doors from the building.