Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Dr. Geoffrey Goldsmith
The Belhaven School of Business offers a Bachelor of Science in Accounting as part of its traditional, undergraduate program. This course of study seeks to provide the necessary knowledge and skills for success in the accounting profession, while equipping business majors with a solid foundation to make effective managerial decisions. As a component of a Christian liberal arts college, the accounting degree program emphasizes the importance of Christian values and ethics in the practice of accounting.
As you work through the curriculum, we give you a well-rounded education with a business core of finance, economics, marketing, management, business math applications, statistics, and operations management. We equip you with the experience to take on leadership roles within a variety of accounting profession.
The Belhaven University School of Business has been recognized by Business Reform Magazine as one of the best Christian Business Schools in the country. It was praised for job placement, Biblically focused curriculum, and quality of faculty. Successful Alumni have found careers in financial accounting, management, government, retail, and public administration at prestigious businesses around the country.
Why choose Accounting at Belhaven University?
Our accounting major gives you the knowledge to become involved different areas of accounting, while providing a foundation for graduate studies.
Our knowledgeable professors help you develop the skills necessary to be competitive in the modern economy. The small class sizes, personalized instruction and career advisement set us apart from other universities. Through coursework, we emphasize the importance of a Christian, biblical worldview and how it applies to accounting.
What will I study?
- Financial statement preparation
- Cost accounting for managerial decision-making
- Federal taxation of individuals and of corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships
- Forensic accounting
- Business law
- Computer applications of accounting
- Accounting for governmental and not-for-profit organizations
What can I do with a bachelor in Accounting?
- Tax preparation and planning
- Corporate accounting (management decisions and financial statement preparation)
- Fraud investigation (FBI, State Auditor, etc.)
- Government accounting
- Management consulting
- Public accounting (auditing)
- Internal auditing
- Bookkeeping and accounting services
What kind of opportunities will I have in my major that will contribute toward a career in accounting?
- Opportunities for several academic and need-based scholarships
- Graduates are eligible to take the CPA exam in Mississippi, although some may need extra credit hours.
- Internships are available with CPA firms and local businesses.
What are Belhaven Accounting graduates doing now?
- CPA, is an auditor at Deloitte
- Financial Analyst at Southern Farm Bureau Life Insurance
- Property Accountant at Sutherland Global Services
- Accountant at Harper, Rains, Knight & Company
- Fraud, Forensic, & Litigation Associate at Horne LLP
- CPA, is the Senior Auditor at BBVA Compass
- Accountant at Mississippi Department of Finance
- Export-Import Bank of the U.S. in Washington DC.
- Tax Division at Briggs & Veselka Company
- Project Accountant at L-3 Communications