Dr. Reid Bishop, Chair
Chemistry at Belhaven University is a versatile science major and forms the basis of so many other scientific disciplines, leading you to a variety of career options after you graduate. The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry will give you hands-on lab experience while studying different chemical principles. You will study the most basic of topics to the most complex and take part in world-class research utilizing state-of-the-art chemical techniques.
Within the chemistry program, you can choose to pursue two concentrations, biochemistry and chemical physics. The fastest way to fulfill the pre-requisites for a health related profession is through a chemistry degree and there are also a number of programs you can choose from that include: medicine, dentistry, nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and pharmacy. Earning a chemistry degree from Belhaven University is the key to a bright future in a variety of science related careers.
Why choose Chemistry at Belhaven University?
When you choose to major in chemistry at Belhaven, you will get the personalized instruction and one-on-one interactions with professors that many colleges can’t give you. You will receive expert, pre-professional training and early exposure to career options in research and healthcare.
Our new enhanced facilities, computers and technology set us apart from other programs and we give you the opportunity to use modern scientific instrumentation and methods. The study of chemistry is a green, sustainable program and all classes bridge the gap between biblical worldview and science. Other opportunities in research, internships and work experience with regional hospitals and institutions are made available to you during your time in learning with us.
What will I study?
- Analytical Chemistry
- Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Computational and Theoretical Chemistry
- Classical and Quantum Physics
- Literature Philosophy and History of Science
What can I do with a degree in Chemistry?
- Chemical and Science Education
- Environmental Quality and Management
- Clinical Health Professions
- Chemical Industry - Pharmaceutical and Agricultural
- Natural Resource Conservation and Exploration
- Chemical Engineering and Material Science
- Research and Development of Technology
- Scientific Communications
What kind of opportunities will I have with as a chemistry major that will contribute toward my career?
- Student affiliated chapter of the American Chemical Society
- Internship and research opportunities in the surrounding area.
- Mentoring, tutoring and teaching in laboratory and classroom settings
- Local and national scientific conferences
What are Belhaven University Chemistry and Physics graduates doing now?
- Top ranked graduate schools
- Environmental quality and management
- Chemical sales
- Pharmaceutical research
- Physicians, dentists or nurses
- Research associates
- Medical missions
The School of Science and Mathematics also advises students for a number of programs in the health-related professions: Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy. These programs and the pre-requisite requirements are listed in the current catalogue on the Pre-Professional Programs page.