Sports Medicine and Exercise Science
Major: Sports Medicine and Exercise Science
Minor: Sports Medicine and Exercise Science
The Sports Medicine and Exercise Science program is an interdisciplinary major that connects all the basic sciences to prepare students for wide range of careers in health and fitness. A Bachelor of Science in Sports Medicine or Exercise Science is an accredited degree that prepares students in careers such as therapeutics, fitness, fitness management, medicine and education.
What will I study?
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Injury Care & Prevention
- Exercise Physiology Lab
- Sport & Exercise Nutrition
What can I do with a degree in Sports Medicine or Exercise Science?
- Bio Mechanist
- Physical/Occupational Therapist
- Biomedical Engineer
- Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Fitness Director
- Athletic Trainer
- Medical/Osteopathic Doctor
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist
Why choose Sports Medicine/Exercise Science at Belhaven University?
- This field of study is broad and allows students to choose from a number of exciting career possibilities.
- 200 on site clinical observation hours (physical/occupational therapy clinics, medical clinics, strength and conditioning facilities)
- New facility, instruments and software in the laboratories
- Research requirements and opportunities help make students competitive when applying to graduate school.
What Kind of opportunities do students have in Sports Medicine/Exercise Science?
- Sports Medicine and Exercise Science Club (SPEX Club)
- Professional guest speakers
- Field trips and learning experiences in professional venues
- Community and professional service projects
- Intern clinical experience in career field
What are Belhaven graduates doing now?
- Master of Physical Therapy and/or Doctorate of Physical Therapy programs.
- Medical, nursing and occupational therapy schools
- Strength and Conditioning, Personal Training, and Athletic Training graduate programs
- Exercise Physiology, Sports Nutrition and Sports Psychology graduate programs
The Biology Department also advises students for a number of programs in the health-related professions: Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy. These programs and the pre-requisite requirements are listed in the current catalogue on the Pre-Professional Programs page.
Download program brochure (PDF)