Journalism, Electronic Communication, Public Relations, Sports Broadcasting
Bill Moak, Chair
The Bachelor of Arts in Communication seeks to prepare students for the fields of journalism, electronic communication, sports broadcasting and public relations. As a Christian liberal arts university, Belhaven trains individuals not only in their area of expertise, but also on the moral standards required to provide the waiting public with the best possible information. With the biblical worldview at the center, this degree program gives students the foundation they need to communicate the truth.
The communication department has a journalism laboratory on campus, and students in this concentration are encouraged to do freelance writing with the recommendation of the department chairman. Electronic communication and public relations students are exposed to professionals in the classroom as well as the workplace through internships and other hand-on opportunities.
What will I study?
- Social Media
- Public Relations
- Sports Broadcasting
- Electronic Communication
What can I do with a Communication degree?
- Print Media – Newspaper, Online, Magazines and any print application
- Broadcast Journalism or Production
- Radio Broadcasting
- Social Media
- Digital Content Specialist
- Media Strategist
- Public Relations Specialist
- Corporate Communication
- Marketing or Advertising Specialist
- Sports Anchor or Reporter
- Sports Writer
Why choose a major in Communications at Belhaven University?
The small class sizes, personalized instruction and career advisement set us apart from other universities. Our professors give you the tools to succeed and are committed to seeing you grow in your learning. We offer students exciting internship opportunities with local media outlets and take students on educational field trips to different media companies. Our journalism laboratory on campus gives you a great facility to work in and some of the best tools to perfect the craft of communications. We get our students involved in freelance writing for newspapers and magazines to give them needed experience.
What kind of opportunities will I have as a Communication major that will contribute toward my career?
- The annual Belhaven Media Ethics Conference gives you the opportunity to hear from media professionals
- National and local internship experiences give you valuable work experience in your chosen field of study
- Networking events and opportunities with the local and state media
- Educational field trips to local media outlets
What are Belhaven Communication graduates doing now?
- Morning anchor for news station
- Director of Public Relations for the Miss. Dental Association
- Cooperative Executive for ECD HOPE
- Director of In His Steps Ministries
- Producer with WJTV
- Public Relations Specialists for Ergon
- Digital Content Specialist for WJTV
- Media Specialist for Billy Graham
- Master Control Operator at WLBT