Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
Bachelor of Arts in Theatre (Theatre Ministry)
Bachelor of Arts in Theatre (Dramatic Writing)
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre
Dr.David S. Sollish, Department Chair
Belhaven University is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
Building on Belhaven’s outstanding tradition of integrating the arts into Christian higher education, the Theatre Department offers the Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting and in Musical Theatre. Courses are offered in theatre history, acting, directing, and stagecraft. Practical experience is provided through the wide variety of on-campus productions. To round out their major, students often develop internships and journeyman opportunities with domestic and international theatre companies, missions or ministry venues, all under the supervision of the Belhaven Theatre Department.
It is the mission of the Belhaven University Theatre Department to train servant artists in the use of the art of theatre to serve their Community, their Collaborators, and their Creator. Students must interview or audition for acceptance to the theatre degree program, which is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
Belhaven’s Theatre Department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre. Why is this important?
Knowing the Department of Theatre is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) tells you that Belhaven University voluntarily holds itself to a set of quality standards and is willing to allow outside theatre experts come to campus and verify Belhaven is doing what we say we are doing. Belhaven’s commitment to the accreditation process benefits you because it ensures you will be provided a quality education and may assist you in meeting eligibility requirements for state and federal financial aid and in pursuit of graduate education.
What will I study?
- Acting and Directing
- Theatre Design and Production
- Musical Theatre & Dance
- Script Analysis and Dramatic Writing
- Theatre Ministry
- All theatre majors take a 33-hour broad-based core of theatre courses ranging from Acting and Stagecraft to Stage Management and Directing
- Students choose areas of specialization including Acting (BFA), Musical Theatre (BFA), Dramatic Writing (BA), Theatre Ministry (BA), or students may choose a General BA Degree in Theatre. We also offer a Theatre Minor.
What can I do with a degree in theater?
- On the Stage
- Act, sing, dance, and perform!
- Behind the Scenes
- Design sets, lights, costumes, props, and sound
- Be a costume shop assistant, a master electrician, and more!
- Stage Manage
- Write plays and screenplays
- In a Theatre Company
- Manage a theatre company
- Be a dramaturg or literary director
- Development Director
- Company Manager
- Education/Outreach director
- In the Church
- Worship Ministries
- Theatre Ministry Director
- In the Classroom
- Theatre educator (at the primary, secondary, and college levels)
Why choose Theatre at Belhaven University?
- Every student receives hands-on training in our production season
- Small class sizes; one-on-one attention from the professors
- Learn your craft in an community of Christian artists who seek to honor God through excellence in theatre
- Opportunity to devise new works
- State of the art lighting lab
- Large and fully operational costume shop
- Our faculty continue to work in professional theatre
- All BFA students are guaranteed at least one role per semester
- First semester freshman audition and can be cast in a lead role right away
What kind of opportunities will I have in my major that will contribute toward my career?
- Opportunities to act, stage manage, crew, and design in our production season
- Performance students prepare a Senior Showcase that can be filmed and edited for the actor to use in a video reel
- Hands-on training in at least 6 areas theatre production, including costuming, scene shop, house management, and lighting.
- Student clubs such as Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theatre Honorary
What are Belhaven Theatre graduates doing now?
- Acting (in companies such as PUSH Theatre, Taproot Theatre, The Ritz, Shining Light, and off-Broadway)
- Working Backstage and Designing (at companies such as the Alley Theatre, Synetic Theatre, Trinity Shakespeare, the Hangar Theatre, the Arden Theatre, and Sight and Sound Theatre)
- Teaching (all ages and settings)
- Working in Theatre Missions and Theatre Ministry
- Pursuing graduate degrees