Virtual Tour: Gillespie Commons and Belhaven Lagoon
The Gillespie Commons, located between Fitzhugh and Preston Halls, provides a place for quiet meditation, studying or meeting with friends. Praise music heard along the tree-lined sidewalk sets the tone for this thoroughfare.
Renovation of the Belhaven Lagoon, located in the plaza between Fitzhugh and Preston Halls in the front of the campus, was completed in early November 1999. Originally built in 1927, the refurbished Lagoon features a three-tiered cast-iron fountain, which is 12 feet high and 10 feet wide, in the center of the pool. New, architecturally correct redwood columns with Roman Corinthian caps were also erected. Lights were added to the fountain and columns.
Renovations to the Lagoon also included replacing the pool bottom and wall caps as well as the walkway between the two administrative buildings. Additions include a water circulation system in the pool and new flower beds around the plaza.