Intercultural Studies Department
Major: Intercultural Studies
Dr. Kenneth Nehrbass, Assistant Professor of International Studies
A Bachelor of Arts in Intercultural Studies provides a foundation to understand other cultures and see how God’s word impacts the world. Under the umbrella of Belhaven University’s international studies program, the degree in intercultural studies equips students who want to pursue international missions or community development. Since intercultural studies has fewer course units than the international studies degree, it also makes a good double major for students who want to be prepared to practice any profession overseas.
An intercultural studies major studies anthropology, language acquisition skills, comparative religions and a survey of globalization and culture. The intercultural studies degree program also includes in-depth courses in Bible, theology, urban and tribal ministry. Three hours of cross-cultural experience is required, and this can usually be fulfilled by completing a short term mission trip.
What will I study?
- Linguistics and language acquisition
- Anthropology and missions
- Political science
- Biblical social responsibilities
What can I do with an Intercultural Studies degree?
- US State department
- International journalism
- Teach English as a Second Language
- Mission field
- Study international law
Why choose Intercultural Studies at Belhaven University?
- Receive biblical studies classes that engage current events
- Earn 12 hours of credit for studying abroad
What kind of opportunities will I have in my major that will contribute toward my career?
- Develop skills in working in a multi-cultural environment
- Gain empathy for people who are different than you
- Demonstrate that you have initiative and an adventurous spirit
What are Belhaven Intercultural Studies graduates doing now?
- Graduate school