Erin Rockwell Scheiwe
- MFA, California State University, Long Beach
- BA, St. Olaf College
- Pilates Certification, Body Arts and Science International (BASI)
- Master Instructor Pilates Certification with Balanced Body
Erin Scheiwe Rockwell graduated Summa Cum Laude with a MFA in Dance from California State University, Long Beach (2008) and Cum Laude with a BA in Dance from St. Olaf University (2001). Her choreography has been presented nationally by several dance companies, schools, and festival. During her four years between degree programs, Rockwell lived in New York City where she enjoyed choreographing for a dance theatre company called Notes In Motion and performing with a variety of independent choreographers. Recently, Rockwell was honored to present her choreography at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C. for the American College Dance Association National Conference.
While studying in California, Rockwell obtained her comprehensive Pilates teacher training with dance specialization through Body Arts and Science International and taught Pilates and modern dance at CSULB. She studied with master Pilates instructor and dance scientist, Karen Clippinger, who developed a dance specific repertoire based on classical Pilates philosophy and technique. With background in both classical and dance specific Pilates repertoire, she appreciates working with diverse populations to help individuals and groups achieve their specific fitness goals.
Throughout her career, Rockwell's interest in technology has inspired her to direct and edit several short dance films, attended and present work at international film workshops/festivals, as well as fuse screendance within her stage choreography. She has developed curriculum for Belhaven's dance department aiming to expand student's knowledge and creative potential to support their academic and choreographic pursuits.
In 2008, Rockwell co-founded a dance company called Font Porch Dance (www.frontporchdance.org), a Mississippi based dance collective aimed at creating approachable dance art that promotes awareness and appreciation of contemporary dance. The company continues to present original choreographic work throughout Mississippi often in collaboration with local musicians and visual artists. In addition to sitting on the company's Board of Directors, Rockwell is co-director, choreographer, and performer.
Areas of Expertise
- Contemporary Dance
- Dance Making
- Modern Dance Technique
- Contact Improvisation
- Dance and Technology
- Choreography with the Camera
- Principles of Dance Health
- Pilates Instructor Training (Mat and Reformer)
- Graduate Seminar
Erin Scheiwe Rockwell came to Belhaven University in 2016 and has a MFA in Dance. She has been overjoyed at the opportunity to start a Pilates training program at Belhaven with hopes to further fill communities with quality instruction fueled by knowledge which has the power to transform lives.
She enjoys working with and being inspired by committed clients of all ages and fitness levels as they regularly challenge her creativity in cooperation with God’s amazing design of the human body.
In deep awe of God’s steadfast promises and vast imagination, Rockwell is grateful for the opportunity to learn and teach in the company of other Christian artists who uniquely express their connection with the Creator.
Rockwell loves living in her adorable house in the historic neighborhood of Belhaven with her fun-loving daughter, energetic son, and incredibly talented husband Owen Rockwell, who is the Director of Music in the Belhaven University dance department. On several occasions, they have dared to collaborate in art making, performance, and course instruction – with ideas still reserved for future exploration!
Scholarly Contributions and Most Recent Professional Publications
- 2020 "for what to stand" group work created in collaboration with a cast of 12 dancers with 12 chairs, 12 masks, and the challenge of staying as far away as possible (restrictions dictated by COVID-19) to commissioned music by Brennan White. Performed by dancers at Belhaven University, Jackson MS.
- 2019 "CORD" contact-based trio created to an original song by Claire Holley and performed at Belhaven University, Jackson MS, at the Alabama Dance Festival in Birmingham, AL, and scheduled to perform at American College Dance Association South Region Conference at University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY (conferences was cancelled due to COVID-19).
- 2019 "Cleansed" group work incorporating shifting prop-screens with 3 projectors displaying video imagery supporting the atmosphere of the piece; set on students and performed at Belhaven University, Jackson MS.
- 2018 "Ima[(I)n]e" group work created in collaboration with cast (13 dancers) incorporating live feed technology as well as animated video projection set on students and performed at Belhaven University, Jackson MS and at American College Dance Association South Region Conference at Northwestern State University, Natchitoches LA and invited to ACDA National Conference at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C.
- 2017 "Flood" (restaged) group work performed by Belhaven University dance majors in Jackson, MS.
- 2016 "I Sense it Happening" original quintet set on students and performed at Belhaven University, Jackson MS.
- 2015 "Drum ‘n’ Roll" original group work set and performed to original live music created in collaboration with music faculty, Dr. Owen Rockwell (14 dancers, 2 drummers) set on students and performed at Belhaven University, Jackson MS.
- 2015 "Mississippi Stories in Motion" movement instillation and dance performance presented by Front Porch Dance at the Mississippi Museum of Art and restaged for stage performance commissioned by the Delta Arts Alliance ad performed at Delta State University in Cleveland, MS
Guest Teaching/Conference/Workshop Presentation:
- 2021 Alabama Dance (Virtual) Conference: taught Pilates for Dancers and Tennis Ball Massage
- 2020 Artist in Residence at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN: taught various movement and theory courses and restaged Imag[(I)n]e for their Company dance concert
- 2019 The Dance Foundation in Birmingham, AL: taught Integrating Improvisation to Develop Performance
- 2019 Alabama Dance Conference in Birmingham, AL: taught Modern/Improv Fusion
- 2018 American College Dance Conference at Northwestern State University of Louisiana, Natchitoches, LA: taught Partner Stretching, Modern Improv Fusion and Pilates for Dancers
- 2017 American College Dance Conference at Auburn University, Auburn, AL: taught Partner Stretching and Massage, Contact Modern Dance and Pilates for Dancers
- 2016 American College Dance Conference at University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS: taught Partner Stretching and Massage and Pilates for Dancers
Honors and Awards:
- 2018 American College Dance Association National Conference Selection: My choreography, Imag[(I)n]e, was one of 2 pieces chosen to represent the South Region of ACDA at the national conference at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington D.C.
- 2015 Arts Fellowship for Dance Performance: Mississippi Arts Commission, MS