Dr. Reid Bishop, Chair
Chemistry is a versatile science major and forms the basis of so many other scientific disciplines, leading to a variety of career opportunities. The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry will give students hands-on lab experience while studying different chemical principles. Students will interact with the most basic of topics to the most complex and take part in world-class research utilizing state-of-the-art chemical techniques.
The study of biology at Belhaven is a green, sustainable program and all classes have a worldview component, bridging the gap between biblical worldview and science.
What will I study?
- Analytical Chemistry
- Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Computational and Theoretical Chemistry
- Classical and Quantum Physics
- Literature Philosophy and History of Science
- Chemical Physics
What can I do with a degree in Chemistry?
- Chemical and Science Education
- Environmental Quality and Management
- Clinical Health Professions - Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Medical Technology
- Chemical Industry - Pharmaceutical and Agricultural
- Natural Resource Conservation and Exploration
- Chemical Engineering and Material Science
- Research and Development of Technology
- Scientific Communications
- Patent and Policy Law
Why choose Chemistry at Belhaven University?
- New science building and labs with modern instrumentation, technology and computing
- All courses include a focus on environmental sustainability and green methods
- Research and work experience with regional hospitals and institutions (University of Mississippi Medical Center, MS state crime lab, FBI, Army Corps of Engineers, MS Dept. of Environmental Quality, US Geological Survey, MS Dept. of Public Health, local chemical industry)
- Small class sizes, personalized instruction
What kind of opportunities will I have in my major that will contribute toward my career?
- Student affiliated chapter of the American Chemical Society
- Internship and research opportunities in the surrounding area.
- Mentoring, tutoring and teaching in laboratory and classroom settings
- Local and national scientific conferences
What are Belhaven University Chemistry and Physics graduates doing now?
- Top ranked graduate schools
- Environmental quality and management
- Chemical sales
- Pharmaceutical research
- Physicians, dentists or nurses
- Research associates
- Medical missions
The Biology Department also advises students for a number of programs in the health-related professions: Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy. These programs and the pre-requisite requirements are listed in the current catalogue on the Pre-Professional Programs page.