Dr. John Estes, Assistant Professor and Chairman of Mathematics
The Mathematics Department offers students small classes with personalized instruction by faculty mentors. The rigorous curriculum helps students prepare for mathematics jobs by developing strong skills in analytical thinking, a deep understanding in applied and theoretical mathematics, a knowledge of the biblical perspective towards mathematical thought, and stronger use of technology. Belhaven University offers multiple degrees in mathematics, including a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Bachelor of Art in Mathematics, and a pre-engineering course of study for students looking for a strong foundation in core math principles.
What will I study?
- The Calculus Series
- Mathematical Proof techniques
- Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
- Statistics and Probability
- History of Mathematics
- Computational Research
- Mathematical Investigation
- Higher Mathematics with Advanced Calculus, Number Theory, and Graph Theory
What can I do with a degree in Mathematics?
Jobs in Mathematics include:
- Systems Analytics
- Actuarial Sciences
- Primary, Secondary, and Collegiate Education
- Public Health Statistics, Biostatistics and Economics
- Information Technology and Computing
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Mathematical and Physics Research
- Graduate Programs
Why choose Mathematics at Belhaven University?
- New classrooms and computer laboratory
- Sophisticated methods to approach theoretical and applied mathematics
- Small class sizes and personalized instruction with professors including hands on course and career advisement
- Close community of faculty and students with numerous opportunities to connect socially with student competitions, social media, Bible studies, and other events
- Interesting guest lecturers through Mathematics Seminar
- Internships and work experience at numerous local government and non-government agencies
- Interdisciplinary area of study with a variety of applications
What kind of opportunities will I have in my major that will contribute toward my career?
- Mathematical Investigation research project and presentation
- Opportunity to teach, mentor and tutor in local schools
- A deeper integration of other areas of study
- Personal research opportunities
- Opportunities to learn about and compare and contrast philosophical view towards mathematics
What are Belhaven Mathematics graduates doing now?
- Graduate school
- Systems Analyst
- Teaching mathematics at the primary, secondary, and collegiate level
- Actuarial Science
- Operations Research
- Overseas Missions
- Other graduates work math-related occupations for the government or industry