Belhaven University Begins 2023 with Good News
January 10, 2023 (Jackson, Miss.) - Belhaven University President Dr. Roger Parrott shared some encouraging news with the Belhaven community on Monday, January 9, 2023.
1. The City of Jackson received $800 million to overhaul the water system. The Federal Environmental Protection Agency has taken over Jackson’s water system and brought in top experts from around the county to fix the city’s water. With nearly a billion dollars in hand, many problems with the water system will be fixed.
2. A new director of security has joined Belhaven University. Andrew Vansant brings a proven and successful career in security and law enforcement to the campus. Most recently, Vansant has served as district manager of Securitas and previously was head of security for Point University in Atlanta. He also worked in security with the Atlanta Braves and served as a police officer earlier in his career.
3. Campus security cameras are being upgraded to high definition. We have about 150 cameras across the campus – the first of them were installed over 20 years ago. The technology has dramatically improved through the years, and we are upgrading the older security cameras to ensure the entire campus is covered with the clearest picture available.
4. Belhaven University has received a $1.5 million grant for campus infrastructure. The State of Mississippi is investing in private universities across our state, helping us with a grant for infrastructure – the underground utilities, such as fiber optic, water, sewer, and electrical lines. Engineers are still determining how we should use this grant, but in the months ahead, you will likely see trenches being dug for new infrastructure lines.
5. The neighborhood association is installing police-monitored security cameras. The new cameras will cover all of Belhaven and Belhaven Heights neighborhoods. We have been working with neighborhood leaders to ensure these blue light cameras will cover the perimeter of our campus, including Riverside Drive, up to the Center for the Arts. Those cameras should be installed in the coming weeks.
For more breaking news, announcements, and upcoming events, visit the Belhaven University News and Information web site.