The Belhaven University Campus Security Office seeks to provide a safe and secure campus environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. In keeping with the Belhaven University motto, we strive to always serve well.
As part of our calling, our staff seek to follow a “VIP” approach to our campus service:
The letter "V" refers to visibility. Belhaven University Security personnel are visible on campus and in the buildings they protect, with the students, faculty, and staff, as well as the Belhaven community.
The letter "I" refers to involvement. Belhaven University Security personnel are involved with students, faculty, staff, and guests on a daily basis. Our security team seeks to partner with all departments at Belhaven University with the goal of assisting those departments with coverage that has overlapping processes involving Security.
The letter "P" refers to proactive. Security personnel take a proactive approach to the security and safety of Belhaven University. Instead of simply responding to situations and dealing with them as they occur, we charge our security personnel to be pre-emptive in their approach and to seek out ways to maintain a safer and more secure environment at Belhaven University.
In addition to continuous campus patrols, strong partnerships with local law enforcement, and a commitment to VIP service, Belhaven Security employs special services and tools such as:
- 24/7 phone contact through direct number 601-968-5900 (5900 on campus) – please add these numbers to your cell phone contacts
- 24/7 staffed service and security officer accessibility
- Live, monitored, and recorded surveillance video
- Emergency alert text and email notifications
- Computer-controlled card access system on all buildings
- Computer-monitored fire systems
- Security lighting throughout the campus
- Safety Escort Program
- Bi-weekly Health and Safety checks conducted in every residence hall room by residence life staff
- Mandatory hall meetings each semester to review campus security
- Fire drills are conducted each semester
- Resident Director and/or Resident Assistants are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the academic year
- All Resident Directors and Resident Assistants are trained in first aid, including medical devices. Most are CPR certified.
- Strategic collaboration with Jackson Police Department, Capital Police, and Hinds County Sheriff
- Strong partnerships and on-going communication with colleges, hospitals, and churches in the Belhaven community
We believe that crime prevention starts with everyone taking personal responsibility. If you see something, say something! An alert, aware, and engaged campus community is a key step in reducing the possibility of crime.
Below are some tips that can help curb the risk of crime on campus:
- Lock your door whenever you leave your room for any length of time.
- Always lock your vehicle doors, and never leave valuables in plain sight.
- Never let unauthorized persons into your room, residence hall or secure areas.
- Don’t “scan” someone in as a favor unless they can produce a BU student ID card.
- Do not leave items unattended on campus. Keep phones, backpacks, purses, computers, tablets etc. with you or in your view.
- Do not loan your room key or Belhaven ID to anyone.
- Take valuables with you when you leave school for extended periods, such as Christmas break or Spring Break.
- When working late, Campus Security officers can provide safety escorts. Call 601-968-5900 for assistance.
- Be alert! Report any suspicious activity or suspicious persons to Campus Security immediately at 601-968-5900!
- Add Belhaven Campus Security phone number (601-968-5900) to your phone contacts.
Emergency Alert System
The Belhaven Emergency Alert System is in place for all emergency situations including weather alerts. Students, faculty, and staff are automatically enrolled in the alert system. Parents are welcome to also sign up for text and email notifications.
All current Belhaven student, faculty, and staff are required to possess a Belhaven Identification Card (ID Card). ID Cards are required for entrance into all buildings on campus and must be carried at all times when on campus. To request a card, please follow this link to Blazenet, then to the Student Forms section.
Additional Resources and Information
We work in concert with other local law enforcement and safety agencies which include Jackson Police Department, Capitol Police, Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, Hinds County Sheriff's Department, Jackson Fire Department, and Securitas. We are also a member a local security consortium that includes the safety units at Baptist Health Systems, St. Dominic's Hospital, the University of Mississippi Medical Center, Millsaps College, and First Presbyterian Church. We actively share information regarding any possible suspicious or criminal behavior at our respective campuses to broaden our awareness and improve our efforts at crime prevention.
Non-emergency numbers for these agencies as are follows:
- Jackson Police- 601-960-1234
- Capitol Police- 601-359-3125
- Hinds County Sheriff- 601-974-2900
- Jackson Fire Department- 601-960-1392
- American Medical Response- 601-713-4340
We also provide crime prevention information in our Security office. See the Campus Crime Statistics to get information associated with the federal government's Clery Act (formerly the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act) or come by our office for the information. All statistics are reported annually to the federal government and are published for the review of our community.
Follow recommended actions individuals can take if confronted with an active shooter scenario.
Parking on campus is provided for Belhaven University students, faculty, and staff. To park on campus, you must register your vehicle with Campus Security at which time you will be issued a Belhaven University parking decal. (To request a decal, please complete form on Blazenet in Student Forms section.) Decals can be picked up at the Security Office and must be displayed on the left rear bumper or left rear windshield.
Designated parking zones are as follows:
|Commuter Parking Only||Yellow Zone|
|Caldwell/Lakeview/Helen White Resident Parking Only||Blue Zone|
|Robertson/Wells Resident Parking Only||Red Zone|
|University Village Resident Parking Only||Green Zone|
|Staff and Faculty Parking Only||White Zone|
All vehicles are required to pull into a parking space (no backing into spaces).
Handicap parking is available throughout the campus.
If you have any questions regarding parking enforcement, permits, or other special needs on campus, please feel free to contact the Security office at email@example.com by calling our office at 601-968-5900.
Lost and found items are turned in to the Security Office. Found property is held for 90 days. All reasonable attempts are made to locate the owners of property turned in. Any property remaining unclaimed after 90 days is disposed of or donated to charitable causes.
Campus Security: Available 24/7Phone: 601-968-5900
On Campus Phone: 5900
Bettye Quinn Center
Office Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Verse of the Year
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.