Bachelor of Arts in English
English and Creative Writing
Dr. Don Hubele, Chair
The Belhaven University English Department functions to ensure competence in verbal expression and writing skills across the curriculum and into the post-collegiate career. The Bachelor of Arts in English is an accredited degree program that includes specialized instruction in critical and research writing. The literature studies component works to impart knowledge of major authors, literary history, specific genres, critical approaches, and ideological content.
Traditional careers for an English major have long included writing, editing, journalism, and teaching at the elementary, secondary, or collegiate levels, but recent trends in business management have opened doors to lucrative careers in real estate, public relations, technical writing, actuarial management, business management, and in-service training. The English degree is also recognized as a major that prepares students for law school or seminary. Belhaven graduates have been recruited into numerous graduate English programs, often obtaining prestigious assistantships and fellowships.
What will I study?
- English composition
- History and grammar of the English language
- British, American and World literature surveys
- Bibliography and research
- Literary theory
- Development of the novel
- Medieval British and Victorian literature
- Romantic British poetry
- Modern British literature
- Renaissance literature
- The Bible as literature Literary Ecology
What can I do with a degree in English?
- Writing and editing
- Teaching at elementary, secondary and collegiate levels
- Public relations
- Graduate studies
- Law school
- Ministry and missions
- Technical writing
- Grant writing
- Business management
With a degree in graphic design, students can pursue opportunities such as:
- Graphic Design clubs
- Job shadowing
- Design liaison for independent projects
- Production design
- Hands-on account and client relations
- Presentation and interviewing experience
- Participation in graphic design workshops
- Professional speakers
- Involvement in the annual student graphic design gallery show
- Student award show opportunities
Why choose an English major at Belhaven University?
It is our desire to give you every possible advantage in your learning as a student of English. You will benefit from small, discussion-oriented classes. Personal interaction and mentoring from faculty members provide you with additional avenues of learning and access most students do not have at other universities. Capstone courses will give you real-world experience and graduates will be well-prepared for continued education toward a masters degree in English. The biblical worldview is the lens through which all course content is evaluated, creating an environment that looks to the Bible for standards of truth and worth.
What kind of opportunities will I have in my major that will contribute toward my career?
- Professional internships
- Career advising and counseling
- Membership in Sigma Tau Delta, an international English honor society
- Development of strong critical thinking skills
- Networking with professors and fellow students
What are Belhaven English graduates doing now?
- Graduate school
- Editing and publishing
- Public administration