The Belhaven University Dance Department offers an exciting opportunity to enhance your training, expand your knowledge, and prepare you for a future in the world of dance and affiliated careers.
Information as You Prepare to Transition for Study in Dance at Belhaven University
Although the transition from a private dance school to a liberal arts college is adventurous and exciting, you may find many differences and challenges. Our faculty will help you make this transition. Belhaven University's Dance Program offers a diverse curriculum. During your academic experience, the following goals will be emphasized.
- To develop and integrate a Christian worldview into your dance studies.
- To develop skills in technique and performance artistry.
- To gain an understanding of dance through history, theory, pedagogy, and science.
- To develop your artistic voice and ability to craft dance through composition and choreography.
Upon entering our dance program, your prior training may have been focused primarily on developing technical skills and improving performance execution. We encourage you to keep an open mind to new dance opportunities and cultivate a healthy curiosity about all aspects of the art form. The following suggestions are to help prepare you for your collegiate career:
- Attend as many dance performances as you can
- View documentaries and films on dance
- Read about dance in newspapers, magazines, books, and online
- Familiarize yourself with key choreographers of the 20th and 21st century
- Research contemporary dance artists and current dance trends
- Discover new ideas and approaches by taking dance classes from different teachers in a variety of dance forms
- Move-in Date To Residence Halls: Thursday, August 17, 2023 from 9am-Noon
- Technique Level Placement Classes: Friday, August 18, 2023 from 8am-12:30pm
- Auditions for Belhaven Dance Ensemble and Dance Ministry Ensemble: Friday, August 18, 2023 from 1:30- 3:30pm
- First Day of Classes: Monday, August 21, 2023
Note: If you are a new student or have never filled out a Medical Form (PDF) you will need to make an appointment with a doctor and have the downloadable form filled out. The completed form should be sent to the Belhaven University Dance Department (see address below) at least two weeks prior to the start of the school year. We will not allow any student without a medical form to participate in the placement class. We look forward to seeing you then!
Mail form to :
1500 Peachtree St., Box 314
Jackson, MS 39202
Or Email to:
Placement Classes and Ensemble Auditions
*Required level placement classes and ensemble auditions for all dance students are on Friday, August 18, 2023. Please see the schedule listed below.
|Friday, August 18, 2023
|8:00am||Advisors meet with freshmen and transfers in Studio 4 (2nd floor Bitsy Irby Visual Arts & Dance Center)|
|8:30am||All students and faculty meet in Studio 4 for announcements|
|9:15 - 10:30am||Level Placement Class #1 (ballet or modern; groups will be assigned)|
|10:45am - Noon||Level Placement Class #2 (ballet or modern; groups will be assigned)|
|Noon - 12:30pm||Pointe Placement in Studio #4 (optional)|
|12:30 - 1:30pm||Lunch|
|1:30- 3:30pm||Ensemble Auditions for performance opportunities with the Belhaven University Dance Ensemble or Dance Ministry Ensemble (optional)|
|Saturday, August 19, 2023|
|8am - Noon||Advising for Freshmen/Transfers (as needed)|
Important documents to view/download:
- Dance Student Handbook
- Medical Forms
- BFA Request Policy (pdf)
- Dance Clinic Policies and Procedures
- Attire Policy (pdf)
Verse of the Year
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.