Building Effective & Efficient Schools
Every school administrator has the same goal: A safe and confident learning environment for the students in their care. From associate principals in rural communities to urban district superintendents, skilled leaders are making a difference.
With an M.Ed./SLA degree from Belhaven University, you learn proven, research-based leadership and management techniques. Our experienced faculty help you navigate the theory and practice of school administration from a Christian worldview, and you apply your knowledge through engaging internships in area schools.
Each course lasts seven weeks, which means you can complete the program in as little as two years. If you have three or more years of teaching experience, take a look. Our schools need caring leaders like you.
Why You’ll Love the M.Ed./SLA Program at Belhaven
Special Discount Rate for Educators
Private, Christ-centered education at public university prices
7-week courses, taught year-round
Belhaven graduates are working in school leadership roles across the country
140 Years of Expertise
A leader in Christian education since 1883
The Highest Standards
The M.Ed./SLA curriculum at Belhaven addresses the National Educational Leadership Preparation (NELP) Program Recognition Standards, which include:
- Mission, Vision, and Improvement
- Ethics and Professional Norms
- Equity, Inclusiveness, and Cultural Responsiveness
- Learning and Instruction
- Community and External Leadership
- Operations and Management
- Building Professional Capacity
When you complete the program, you’ll be fully prepared to take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment Exam (SLLA). When you pass the SSLA exam, the School of Education will recommend you for the Mississippi Administrator’s License.
The M.Ed./SLA Program: What You Need to Know
Applying for admission to Belhaven’s online graduate programs is quick and easy. When you have all your supporting documentation ready, just complete and submit our online application form.
The program includes three capstone courses, consisting of two principal internship courses and a course requiring the successful completion of a data and reading literacy assessment.
Memorandum of Understanding
The 320-hour required Internship is incorporated as the candidate matriculates through each of the program’s courses. The candidate will be required to submit the Belhaven University School of Education Memorandum of Understanding for Principal Internship Agreement Form, signed by the School Principal of the school building in which the candidate is a teacher and is serving the internship hours:
This form will serve as indication that in addition to the candidate’s employment as a teacher, the principal of the school is willing to serve as the candidate’s Principal Mentor during the candidate’s Administration Internship hours.
- During the Internship the candidate will be assigned a School of Education mentor along with the school’s principal serving as the school principal mentor.
- During each course taken in the program’s plan of study, the candidate in his/her role as an intern will be required to keep a weekly log of the administrative activities, functions, and actions in order to validate intern hours.
- Candidates will also be given an assignment related to each course in their plan of study that addresses one of the National Policy Board of Educational Administration Standards (NELP), and the Mississippi Educator & Administrator Professional Growth System Standards.
- Candidates will be responsible for developing a portfolio of their responses to the National and State Administrator Standards. The Internship Program will culminate in the completion of Principal Internship I and II (EDU 677 and 678).
School Leaders License Assessment Exam
M.Ed./Admin candidates who desire to receive an administrative endorsement on their license must also successfully pass the School Leaders License Assessment Exam (SLLA), as well as meet any other/additional requirements as prescribed by the Mississippi Department of Education.
- All criteria and requirements must be met before the Belhaven University School of Education will recommend a candidate for the Mississippi Administrator’s License.
- The fee for the SLLA test is at the candidate’s expense. (This is an Educational Testing Service (ETS) fee; it is not a Belhaven University School of Education fee.)
These rates are for August 1, 2023 through July 31, 2024.
|Program||Per Credit Hour|
|Master of Education or Grad. Certificate in TESOL||$605|
|Special Discount Rate for Educators||$392|
All students enrolled in this program are eligible for the special discount rate for educators.
* Military/first responder benefits cannot be combined with any other institutional scholarships or discounts.
Verse of the Year
God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him.